How to tell when a file is closed

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Fri Oct 5 12:51:23 EDT 2001

I automated an app this year and ended up using:

def waitForFile(fileName, waitForChange=1):
    print "in waitForFile waiting on %s " % fileName
    while 1:
        if os.path.isfile(fileName):
            break
        else:
            time.sleep(3)
    sStats = os.stat(fileName)
    time.sleep(3)
    while waitForChange:
        fStats = os.stat(fileName)
        if fStats != sStats:
            sStats = fStats
            time.sleep(3)
        else:
            break

I certainly wouldn't depend on it in all cases, but it does what I need in
this case.

HTH,

--

Emile van Sebille