Nicer Tkinter on UNIX?

Artur Skura arturs at iidea.pl
Thu Oct 4 15:05:51 EDT 2001

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Phil recently pre-released PyQt for Qt 3 (just in time to
> test everything in my book with it) - and it would be
> extremely interesting to get that to work with Qt3 for OS X.
> I'd really like to try it, but I don't have a Mac :-(. Still,
> I really expect PyQt 3 for OS X to available in the very near
> future.

It makes me wonder why such a useful package as PyQt is not a part of
Python distribution (the same holds for GTK bindings).
I think it would be good for users and developers to have them installed
together with all other modules.
Also, an ideal solution for me would be a wrapper module (anyGUI, kindof),
which would check for Qt etc. libraries on systems that support it; if not
found, it would use Tkinter. Is there anything like this?
I think such wrapping would be somewhat easier with GTK and Tkinter (they
seem a bit similar).

Regards,
Artur
--