Curious assignment behaviour

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Wed Oct 17 02:10:21 EDT 2001

On 16-Oct-2001 David C. Ullrich wrote:
 >  In fact lots of people do use := to distinguish assignment
 >  from comparison all the time in mathematics. Not everyone.
 >  But everyone says things like "Let x = 42", which certainly
 >  looks to me like an assignment. (One might argue that it's
 >  equivalent to saying "Consider now the case x = 42", so it's
 >  actually a comparison, not an assignment. If one argued that
 >  one would have to explain why "Let 42 = x" doesn't fly.)

An = with a triangle above is also used to mean "define to be" (or
something similar), which comes fairly close to assignment to me.

Magnified:

      /\
     /__\
    ______
    ______

It-always-makes-my-students-confused-ly y'rs
/Mikael

E-Mail:  Mikael Olofsson <mikael at isy.liu.se>
WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/dtr/staff/mikael
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343