problem controlling MS Word from Python

Andrew Brown killspam at darwinwars.com
Sat Oct 6 05:29:16 EDT 2001

"Travers Naran" <tnaran at direct.ca> wrote in
<9plt6r0e3b at enews1.newsguy.com>:

>Could you post some sample of your code?  I have Office 97 on my machine
>(with HTML saving extensions).  I'd be interested to see if it happens
>in the older Office as well.

I did post some earlier, and I'm reulctant to clutter the list, but here is
the relevant bit again: it is office 97 that I have been using. Some lines
have wrapped, but it should be ovious which, and where. I could post the
whole lot if you really want, but that seems rude -- and pointless unless
you have PyQT.

        def domydir(self):
        	"Processes all the .doc files in a directory using do_that_thing
()"
        	QApplication.setOverrideCursor(Qt.waitCursor)
        	try:
        		self.o=win32com.client.Dispatch('Word.Application')
        		self.o.Visible=1
        	except:
        		warning='OLE fuckup! ' + str(sys.exc_type) + str
(sys.exc_value)
        		self.btn_dirpick.setText(warning)
        	mypath,myfile=os.path.split(str(self.wombat_txt))
        	os.chdir(mypath)
        	self.o.ChangeFileOpenDirectory(mypath)
        	# show what we're doing on the button
        	for wombats in os.listdir(os.getcwd()):
        		if string.find(wombats, 'doc')>1:
        			htmlfile=self.htmlext(wombats)
        			self.do_that_thing(wombats,htmlfile)
        		 	print 'have just processed', htmlfile
        	QApplication.restoreOverrideCursor()

        And

        def do_that_thing(self,docfile,htmlfile):
        	'''gets an instance of word, to save the docfile as html.'''
        	try:
            		self.o.Documents.Add(docfile)
        		self.o.ActiveDocument.SaveAs(htmlfile,17)
        		self.o.ActiveDocument.Close()
        	except:
        		warn='DO that Thing! ' + str(sys.exc_type) + str