J2EE equivalent in Python

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Fri Oct 12 08:05:56 EDT 2001

On 12 Oct 2001 11:51:36 +0100, Robin Smith <smithrc at zdbaora.nat.bt.com> wrote:
>I like J2EE but I am also an open source fan. I don't like what I read
>about Sun and restricting Java -
>http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/10/10/osjava.html .
>
>Is there anything similar to J2EE for python?

Take the following with a grain of salt, my experiences with J2EE are
limited to swearing because of incomprehensible error messages from
Persistence Powertier ;-)

J2EE is a bunch of APIs thrown together, right? So we can examine the
APIs one for one.

Servlets/JSP:   Python has a gazillion equivalents. There's a page that
                compares them all, but I don't have the URL atm.

Distributed sytems: There are several ORBs. I like omniORBpy, for
                    example. Then there are several SOAP
                    implementations. And easy-to-use Python-only
                    solutions like PyRO. And XML-RPC.

JDBC:           Python DB-API 2.0.

Persistence (EJB): ZODB (included in ZOPE or available standalone).

Object-Relational Mapping (JDO): Not available AFAIK.

ZOPE probably comes closest to a J2EE server. It has something called
ZEO if you need to scale up.

If you're adventurous, you can of course mix and match the APIs you
like. And btw. there are also several ZOPE-light's: WebWare, SkunkWeb,
Aquarium, ... I only tried WebWare and liked it.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0