problem controlling MS Word from Python

Travers Naran tnaran at direct.ca
Fri Oct 5 23:18:55 EDT 2001

"Andrew Brown" <killspam at darwinwars.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9131CBC91B8CAandrewdarwinwarscom at 62.253.162.106...
> "Travers Naran" <tnaran at direct.ca> wrote in
> <9pkhei0rbe at enews2.newsguy.com>:
>
> >Can you clarify what you mean by "crashes"?  Does python return a
> >traceback, or does the python interpreter itself crashes?  I wouldn't be
> >surprised if it was the later:  I've noticed Office apps connected by
> >automation can crash the client.
> >

> No traceback. the interpreter crashes when Word throws up a dialogue box
> saying that it cannot translate a particular doc file to html.

Nifty.  It sounds like there's a bug in the OLE code in Python then, or a
dangerous Automation interface in Office. Considering the number of times
Office Automation has hooped my Perl scripts (back off, language-dogs!!
:-) ), I'm inclined to blame Office.

Could you post some sample of your code?  I have Office 97 on my machine
(with HTML saving extensions).  I'd be interested to see if it happens in
the older Office as well.