Running phyton on 50Mips RISC doable?

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Wed Oct 31 12:52:28 EST 2001

"Cor" <cor at dapdesign.com> wrote in news:9rovil$fei$1 at news1.xs4all.nl:
> I'm trying to figure out if I should use Python for my embedded
> application that needs some scripting.
> It is an application with 50Mips Risc processor, with little
> (and slow) memory. So when I want to run the python interpreter
> on this machine, will it be terrible slow? And more inportant: how
> mauch memory will I need? a few K? a few hondred K?
> Is it difficult to port the code such that it will run on this machine?
> (It uses gcc compiler)

i have compiled python 2.1.1 on a PPC embedded with Linux (Kernel 2.4). it
runs fine on a 16MB/50Mhz board (compiling was done on a board with 64MB).
When my app runs, Python uses about 3MB of RAM.
Startup is a bit slow, but entering commands interactively is fine.

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>