Critical sections and mutexes

brueckd at tbye.com brueckd at tbye.com
Thu Oct 25 09:30:19 EDT 2001

On 25 Oct 2001, David Bolen wrote:

> BTW, one of the reasons I feel strongly about this is that a very
> large percentage of my applications over the years have been
> multithreaded (and I'm a big fan of having the support in the language
> such as Python does) and there are just some things you don't skimp
> on, if you want to do it write, maintainably and with assured behavior
> over time.

BTW, one of the reasons *I* feel strongly about this is that a very large
percentage of *my* applications over the years have been multithreaded
yadda yadda yadda. I'm simply telling what I've happened to experience:
resolving thread-safety issues has gone from lots of work in other
languages to almost none in Python. People have expressed lots of concern
over problems that could happen theoretically, and I understand that, and
I'm reporting that those theoretical problems happen far less often than
people are implying (this whole silly thread tanget was started by me
saying that someone spoke too strongly about thread-safety issues in
Python).

-Dave