Near Final PEP 247 - API for Cryptographic Hash Functions

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Mon Oct 1 03:19:23 EDT 2001

[Aahz]
> That is all true, but you deleted my main point, which is that given
> that the digest is in fact a bit string, is there any reason to avoid
> future-proofing against new algorithms that may not return a
> byte-integral number of bits?  This *is* a PEP, after all.  ;-)

At this point I think Andrew should document that the digestsize is the
number of bits divided by 8, conveniently represented as an integer for all
known and expected algorithms:  then he can be anally correct while still
leaving the code usable in real life <wink>.

not-expecting-19-bit-archictectures-to-come-back-in-vogue-and-any-
    future-19-bit-algorithm-won't-escape-its-thesis-ly y'rs  - tim