Quaternions in Python

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Oct 6 15:32:41 EDT 2001

Johann Hibschman wrote:

>     Erik> You're missing the point.  Quaternions can behave
>     Erik> qualitatively differently from their corresponding matrices.
>
> Eh?  Say you have the Pauli spin matrices (complex 2x2 matrices), how
> on earth do those behave qualitatively different from quaternions?  As
> far as I can tell, they *are* quaternions.

That's perfectly valid, but I don't think it's what the poster I
responded to meant.  He meant encoding the transform represented by the
quarternion into a matrix.  As I and others have pointed out, that
presents problems, because matrices for transformations are more fragile
than quarternions in some areas.

/  \ But since when can wounded eyes see / If we weren't who we were
\__/ Joi
    Official Omega page / http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/omega/
 The official distribution page for the popular Roguelike, Omega.