Benefits of moving from Python to Common Lisp?

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Sun Nov 11 18:34:16 EST 2001

Paul Rubin <phr-n2001d at nightsong.com> writes:

>                                                                 Not
> many programmers are taking up Lisp these days.  The experienced Lisp
> programmers have generally been around for a long time, and there are
> getting to be fewer and fewer of them.

Though the rest of your post was quite reasonable (this is, generally,
unusual for articles crossposted between c.l.l and c.l.anything-else)
I am wondering what leads you to the opinion you express above

>From my point of view, the CL community has picked up noticeably in
the last few years.  A draft blurb mentioning some of the
recently-noted lifesigns in the subset of it that deals in
Free-as-in-Open-Source software can be found at
http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Community

Over a slightly shorter timescale (the last 3 months) you might want
to check out http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Free_The_X3J_Thirteen
(again, this is exclusively the Open Source stuff)

And Open Source/Free stuff is just part of the overall community, I
should make clear.  There's more stuff going on in other projects,
other companies, and at the commercial vendors, but I don't have the
time to track that too.  I'm sure other people can chime in with
examples.  For example, if you're looking for something to replace Zope
you might want to evaluate CL-HTTP - I don't know how closely they
match on features, but they're definitely both working in the same
general problem area.

-dan

--

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources