python vs ecmascript

Peoter Veili peoter_veliki at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 16 11:17:12 EST 2001

Anyone familiar with ECMAscript (JavaScript)?  How does it compare to
Python?  I studied ECMAscript last year, people have an aversion to it
from doing web client programming, but it is a high-powered OO scripting
language in its own right.  Clearly the one downside of ECMAscript vs Python
is that Python has been around longer and has a large set of existing
libraries.
Besides that is there any major advantage that Python has?  I am new to
Python
but already I am seeing some limitations that don't exist in ECMAscript.  I
am
also a bit annoyed at some things like having to wrap objects in a str()
before
printing, I don't see why this can't be automatic.  This thing about only
having
two scopes, local and global,  I don't see the logic.  Is this by design, or
is it
simply a current limitation?  The book I have says it may change in the
future.