getting modules optionally

Giorgi Lekishvili gleki at gol.ge
Wed Nov 21 17:10:15 EST 2001

Dear all!

I apologize for this nebye-like question.

Suppose, we have a package with one __init__.py file, while the rest are
other modules (let's call them active modules), which do the essential
stuff.

Apparently, I need to start like this:

     from MyPackage import *

I need to import only one active module. This can be done by hardcoding:

     from MyPackage.ThisModule import *

What I can not do is to import the module, if I have its name as string.

     modname='ThisModule'

Of course, the code below doesn't work:

     from MyPackage.modname import *

The question: is there something like eval function, which could
transfer the string as the real module name? In other words, how have I
to treat the modname to make this code running?

     from MyPackage.modname import *

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,
Giorgi Lekishvili