Mass mailing module for Python

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Thu Nov 29 08:42:59 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Max M" <maxm at normik.dk>

> I have been whip up a mass mailing system for one of our customers, that
> needs to adress about 25-40.000 of their cosumers by email regularly.

This isn't SPAM is it...  We-all don't cotton much to spam 'round here.

> The mails will all be different with personalized content. So i guess that
> regular list manager like mailman is out of the question.

Yup.

> Without having tried it I guess that using a regular mailserver and then
> just sending tons of mails from that, one at a time, wont work either.
> Though it would be very easy. Here I am thinking about bouncing mail and
> unavailable mailservers, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure why you think this... with 25k recipients, a mail server like
Sendmail is the only logical choice.

> Doest anybody have an idea as to how I should approach this in Python? Has
> anybody tried it?

Generating the emails in Python is pretty simple, but I really think you
need
a high-performance mail server to handle the actual transmission.