Python execution speed

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Nov 19 21:18:35 EST 2001

    Peter> I'm curious, however, why you believe you need to optimize
    Peter> Python's execution speed so much?  Do you have some application
    Peter> which is not performing adequately?

I think the general interest in "compiled Python" can be summed up in two
statements:

    * It would allow Python programmers have their cake and eat it too
      (higher-level programming and (near) compiled language speed).

    * "More is never enough."  (I credit this statement to Bob Saltzman, a
      long-time sysadmin type guy I knew in my days at GE.  I have no idea
      where Bob got it.)

There will always be some applications where performance of whatever
language you are using isn't going to be fast enough.  By speeding up Python
you will often be able to push back the point where you have to make the
jump to C.  You will also be able to tackle problems you might not have
otherwise considered using Python for.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)