PHP vs. Python/comp.lang.php?

Todd Boyle tboyle at NoSMAProsehill.net
Thu Nov 22 19:35:09 EST 2001

I am an amateur at programming and I have almost the same questions.

My questions are:

1. PHP is attractive to me because after playing aroudn with it a
short while I was able to implement my own simple stuff, and some
other PHP applications from open source.   Also--the leading
independent webledger in my industry is Intacct (not connection to
me) and it's written in PHP, which proves this is a very capable
system.

2. I also need something practical to get away from the borg; I made
a big mistake during the 1990s and moved from Clipper to Visual Basic,
which is a great platform but they churn the hell out of it, and
nothing you can write will ever be an asset to the programmer for
longer than 1-2 years.  So I am using Python for day-2-day little
programming tasks...

But, what is the best way to build web-based database applications
like accounting systems, on Python?   i.e. what is the equivalent
of ASP pages or PHP pages or JSP pages, for Python??   Shouldn't
we be learning THAT instead of PHP???

Todd Boyle www.gldialtone.com