What is "marshal data"?

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 15 13:50:45 EST 2001

On Thursday 15 November 2001 10:33, Cliff Wells wrote:
> On Thursday 15 November 2001 10:28, Soren Ragsdale wrote:
> > Possible sources of the problem: "uh.py" is imported from MANY
> > programs on our network.  It's being imported by Linux and Irix
> > machines running 1.5.2 and 2.1.1 versions of Python.  Could this be
>
> As mentioned in another thread, the bytecode between python versions is not
> backward compatible, so you may be trying to execute 2.1.1 bytecode on a
> 1.5.2 interpreter and that may be causing the problem.

One way to get around this would be to keep your application modules in a
directory named "modules", and then create two additional directories named
"modules-1.5.2" and "modules-2.1.1" that contain links to uh.py and gh.py in
the "modules" directory.  Then in your application code, set your import path
conditionally based upon the value of sys.version_info.  This way they all
import the same code, but write the .pyc files to separate directories.

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer