[help] Driving Visual Studio From Python

Michael Schneider Michael.L.Schneider at eds.com
Tue Nov 27 01:29:36 EST 2001

Hello  All,

I am an old unix developer finally moving to Windows Visual C++.  I have
been using python on Unix since 96,
and have been really happy with python as a scripting/tools language.

I need to drive visual studio to create projects, add configurations,
and add files to projects.

The COM extensions  make it look like it is possible to do this, but I
am having trouble getting
it going.

I have ran makepy and added the visual studio type libs.

I copied the following code from a post

import win32com.client
app = win32com.client.Dispatch( 'MSDev.Application')

wnd = app.ActiveWindow
if wnd.Type == 'Text':
    print wnd.Selection
app = None

This prints on the selected test.

I can't seem to get the syntax to obtain and print out project
properties, or to add a project

Could someone help my out by giving me the python code to try to get
this to go, I am missing something
very basic here.

Thanks
Mike

PS.  I added the MSDEV links to the visual studio docs
DeveStudio Link to add project

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vcug98/html/vcrefaddprojectmethod.asp

Link to Visual Studio Application Object

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vcug98/html/_asug_application_object.asp