Unicode and string conversions

Salim Zayat zayats at blue.seas.upenn.edu
Fri Nov 16 12:32:29 EST 2001

Hey there.  I was wondering something.  I understand that if you type in
something like:

uni = u'\u0621\u0622'

uni becomes a unicode string, with two characters and all.  That's cool.
What I dont understand is how to start with a normal string, something
like :

str = '\u0621\u0622' or some other way of packaging that info

and convert it to a unicode string that will yield the same result as uni
above.  Is this even possible?  I have this feeling I am missing some
glaringly obvious detail.  Any help, including any links to handling
unicode strings as a whole, would be appreciated.

Salim