application scripting

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Sun Nov 25 20:31:10 EST 2001

"Chris Liechti" <cliechti at gmx.net> wrote in message
news:Xns9165290659FCcliechtigmxnet at 62.2.16.82...
> [posted and mailed]
>

> recordable apps have to provide a menu point to start/stop recording,
> because only the app itself knows what input events create what
actions in
> the script.

I believe there is a lower level API in Windows that allows recording
events and playing them back. It's frequently used by automation
packages and GUI testing tools that are not application specific.

I don't know whether the API is implemented in either of the Windows
Python distributions, however.

Having event recording within the application is a good idea,
because external recording tends to be very fragile.

John Roth