IsPython really O-O?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Nov 14 13:17:03 EST 2001

modman at altavista.com (Modman) writes:

> Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote in message news:<uzo5pmzhe.fsf at python.net>...
> > Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:

> > > I'm having trouble parsing that.  Which of the following did you mean?
> > >
> > > 1) Python is more like Smalltalk that Python is like Java
> > > 2) Python is more like Smalltalk than Java is like Smalltalk
> >
> > I think 1).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > M.
>
> both mean the same thing.

No they don't.

1) means

Smalltalk Python                        Java
         ^                    ^
      little gap           big gap

2) means

Python Smalltalk                 Java
      ^                    ^
  little gap            big gap

both are true, but they're not the same.

> Python is closer to smalltalk than Java is so the ST guru buddie was
> a bit off base to be compairing Py to J.

Quite, i.e. 1) above.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Counting lines is probably a good idea if you want to print it out
  and are short on paper, but I fail to see the purpose otherwise.