Sockets and messaging services

Nomad nomad*** at ***freemail.absa.co.za
Wed Nov 14 07:32:29 EST 2001

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:15:27 +0100, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com>
wrote:

>    >> IMHO the SMTP and POP protocols provide the same benefit (and there
>    >> are Python modules for those protocols).
>
>    shriek> Using a mailserver as a messaging platform for middleware ?
>
>It's not all that far-fetched.  I know some people have experimented with
>XML-RPC over SMTP (which is no longer XML-RPC, but that's a nit).

You could also use a custom jabber handler.  There was a really nice
article in Linux Magazine (IIRC in either the July or August issue)
about jabber and creating your own handlers in perl.  Although I
haven't tinkered with it enough to give you an example, I'm sure you
could easily use JabberPy (see jabberpy.sourceforge.net) for it.

--
Nomad

Wondering of the vast emptyness of the 'net
in search of something cool.