reusable software components

simonb at webone.com.au simonb at webone.com.au
Wed Nov 14 00:16:07 EST 2001

Well, yes im working on this stuff now;
trying out ideas anyway.

i was wondering about this aswell,
searching from the point of
view of design patterns, rather than
beans. still i found little.
the design patterns SIG is dead and burried,
not even the archives are available right now.

My suspician is that all this framework
stuff is so easy to do in python that
no one bothers to "encapsulate" it for others.
A lot of the design patterns are one-liners in python!

Still, i am interested.
it has a lot of relevance, i think, eg.
anygui, types-sig, CP4E, beans, design patterns.

Anyway, u r talking about the bean trick in particular.
i was never convinced that Bean Info was
all that necessary to accomplish the task at hand.
what im thinking of is full introspection
coupled to direct user manipulation.
this is not so bad in java where
u can find out what to plug into what,
but the type system in python is
... absent? or just dynamic, i guess.
Although, we do have doc strings,
and we can parse our own code...
Beans are a kind of type system, if u like.
and this is one thing i think
a SuperPythonMachine should incorporate... :)

Simon Burton