[Python-Dev] Re: [Import-sig] Re: Proposal for a modified import mechanism.

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at devmail.geminidataloggers.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 07:55:07 EST 2001

barry at zope.com (Barry A. Warsaw) wrote:

>Why does B have to add packages to A's namespace?  Why can't the B
>author simply use distutils to ensure that vanilla A is installed,
>import the bits and pieces of A that you want to expose, overriding
>what you want to change, and export an interface through B that
>clients can use instead of A?

Two reasons have ocurred in my projects over the last year:

1. A and B have the same author, and he want to
   *permanently* repackage B inside A. Maybe he
   developed A independantly without considering
   where it would be finally packaged

2. Maybe A needs to use an old version of B, or
   a version of B that has been hacked for an
   A-specific reason.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com