wxWindows link error

Jp Calderone kuran42 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 22:28:53 EST 2001

Just finished building wxPython 2.3.1 using GCC 3.0 and wxGTK 2.3.1.
But to my dismay, I get the following:

~$ python
Python 2.1 (#6, Sep 25 2001, 04:43:19)
[GCC 3.0] on linux2
 >>> import wxWindows
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named wxWindows
 >>> import wxPython
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py",
line 20, in ?
     import wxc
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libwx_gtk.so: undefined symbol:
__gxx_personality_v0

Googling yields many results, none seem python related, most point to
gcc 3.0 as the cause.  Do I need a different version of GCC to use
wxPython (in other words, do I need to get a different windowing
library) or can someone show me how to fix this?

   Thanks in advance,
    Jp Calderone