which one to choose - NumPy or Scientific Python

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Fri Nov 23 04:21:12 EST 2001

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Rajarshi Guha wrote:

>   I've been doing most of my science related work using C - but for some
> new work I'm starting (neural nets, QSAR etc) I'm thinking of using python.
> I know there are 2 sets of libs - NumPy and Scientific Python.
>
> Are there any suggestion as to which one is better or more suitable - I
> won't need heavy duty number crunching. I do need arrays, basic statistical
> functions (I could code these myself - but their presence would be nice)

Scientific Python in fact uses NumPy (if installed) to extend itself, so
its not a choice between the 2, but rather whether you need the extras it
supplies over NumPy.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia