How To Kill a Python

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Sun Nov 25 07:19:27 EST 2001

Ben Ocean <zope at thewebsons.com> graced us by uttering:
> Hi; I continually run into problems adding new software to my server
> that is dependent on Python because I have 2 versions, one of which
> is completely unnecessary; namely, 1.5.2. I want to kill it, or at
> least make it so that when Python is called it automatically calls 2.1
> instead of 1.5.2, but I don't want to screw anything else up on the
> server. How should I go about this?
>
> TIA, BenO

In addition to explicitly specifying which python binary to call in the
#! line of the script as mentioned elsewhere in the thread...

If you want to automatically call the new python binary when casually
working in the shell, alter your $PATH so it'll find your binary before
the others.  In your .profile or .bash_profile (the file your shell uses
to initialize itself) add:

    PATH="/path/to/your/bin_dir:$PATH"

Tim Hammerquist
--
/earth is 98% full ... please delete anyone you can.