Scientific Libraries in Python

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 11 23:09:56 EST 2001

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 11:32:34AM +1000, Horatio Davis wrote:

> G'day,
>
> I've been looking at SciPy and ScientificPython, and a question occurs:
>
> Would it be possible for one to absorb the other so we have a single
> standard scientific library for Python?
>
> There's good stuff in both of them that would be nice to have in _one_
> place, and it just seems more Pythonic. Comments about redundant
> functionality, conflicting philosophies, license incompatibility, and
> other potential victims^H^H^H^H^H^H^H scientific libraries to be
> assimilated are welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>
> AHD

Simply including the Fortran/C libraries (and their wrappers) as part of
Python distribution wouldn't be a problem, other than licenses.  But, so
far, nobody made that decision or see the need for it.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>.
8 CPU cluster, NAS, (Slackware) Linux, Python, LaTeX, Vim, Mutt, Tin