A newbie that needs some HELP

Andrei Kulakov sill at sill.silmarill.org
Mon Nov 26 01:19:48 EST 2001

In article <oUfM7.17133$sq2.676633 at typhoon.austin.rr.com>, The News wrote:
> First background on me.  Since you'll probably be seeing me here alot. :)
>
> Ok.  I bought a new computer this week and found..... (lo and behold while I
> was erasing the useless gunk manufacturers load 'for' you) it was
> pre-installed with Python v2.1.1.
>
> So I think to myself, "Cool!  I've been wanting to get back into
> programming."  Now, I do a little research on the web and find out what this
> "Python" is.  I see that I like it alot as far as languages go (and I dig
> the Monty association ), so I D/L a web tutorial and get busy trying to
> self-teach.
>
> Languages I know:  BASIC, Pascal, HTML, english, and some spanish (muy
> pequito)
>
> Now on to the problem.
> I'm working on lists.  Trying to figure them out.  So I decide to write this
> little algorithim for user inserted lists.  My proto goes as follows:
>
> monty = []
> number = input("How many Monty's are there?")
> for x in range(1,number):
>     mln = input("Name a Monty?")
>     monty.append(aln)

what's aln?

> print monty
>
> It gets through it but prints out some wierd stuff along with each listed
> monty.  Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Also, when I try to get
> it to repeat x at the end of "Name a Monty #", x  it gives me an error.  How
> could I get around that?
>
> Also, while learning HTML I found a program called Homesite (by Allaire) it
> was very helpful.  Is there something like it for Python?

The two most popular programming editors are vim and emacs. I prefer
vim. Unlike emacs, it can also be scripted in python. (Actually, I read
on this newsgroup that python embedding in emacs is being worked on, but
it just appeared and is in alpha or beta, iirc, while vim's python
scripting is comprehensive, stable, and it's been there for years).

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mish
> lbaker at hot.rr.com
> "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

get it at: cy.silmarill.org