Freeware Python editor

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at idi.ntnu.no
Sun Nov 4 08:28:18 EST 2001

"DeepBlue" <DeepBlue at DeepBlue.org> wrote in message
news:tu5nijl8b4kr25 at corp.supernews.com...

> "Magnus Lie Hetland" <mlh at idi.ntnu.no> wrote in message
> news:9rulu9$n2m$1 at tyfon.itea.ntnu.no...
> > "Oleg Broytmann" <phd at phd.pp.ru> wrote in message
> > news:mailman.1004711703.24605.python-list at python.org...
> > [snip]
> > > And after you've modified it - do you have
> > > rights to distribute it to your friends?
> >
> > I hope you are not claiming that what you said above is something
peculiar
> > to Free (as in Gnu/FSF) Software? It would also apply to Open Source
> > software. (And, yes, people would be allowed to make non-open-source
> > software based on it, and _that_ software might not be free in any
> > sense.)
> >
> This is contested.  check the issue with Virtual Dub.  An open source
> project.
> Someone used the code to produce an **unopen application.  Virtual Dub guy
> does not like and he is threatening to sue.
> What you describe is called theft.

No, it's called OpenSource. (Take Python as an example.) Virtual Dub is
Free Software in the GNU sense -- it's governed by the GPL, which is
exactly the issue. That's _not_ what I was talking about.

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                       The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org                       http://anygui.sf.net