psycopg 1.0 released

Federico Di Gregorio fog at debian.org
Tue Nov 13 20:22:53 EST 2001

hi everybody and welcome to psycopg 1.0,

after eight months of work Michele and Federico are pleased to release
the 1.0 version of the psycopg Python/PostgreSQL/Zope database
driver. previous releases (especially the 0.99.x series) were already
stable for a lot of people but only now, after plugging every memleak,
after fixing every segfault, after scratching every itch, psycopg is
absolutely ready for the one-dot-oh release. applause, please... :)

psycopg can be downloaded from:

	http://initd.org/Software/psycopg/

have fun,
federico

what you get with psycopg 1.0
-----------------------------

* very fast python/posgresql database driver, optimized for heavy
  multithreaded applications (very fast means that several people have
  reported many-fold speedups when switching to psycopg, and in real
  world situations, not benchmarks);

* stability. a lot of people have run with it for weeks without a single
  problem. unplug the database or kill the connection, psycopg will just
  raise an exception, rollback and go back to work.

* complete (and we mean 100% complete) DBAPI 2.0 compliance;

* DBAPI extensions: per-cursor commits, isolated cursors, user-defined
  typecast objects (postgresql->python), lastoid() function and other
  goodies;

* complete translation of postgresql date, time, timestamp and
  interval types to eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/) mx DateTime and
  DateTimeDelta objects.

* Zope database adapter (ZpsycopgDA);

* stability (have I already said that?)

what is missing from 1.0

* documentation: we are working on two guides, one about DBAPI 2.0
  programming and one about psycopg itself. both will be released in a
  future psycopg release.

* regression test: much needed to be sure the development branch does
  not remove features or introduce new bugs.

* how zpsycopgda should treat intervals is still dubious. until we
  make a decision you'll get strings if using Zope's DatTime or
  DateTimeDelta objects if using mx's.