Python, licenses and CVS

Gerhard =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4ring?= gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Wed Nov 28 22:06:33 EST 2001

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 06:05:29PM -0800, Jeff Shannon wrote:

> With all this discussion of CVS, I have a question that I've not been able to
> find a satisfactory answer to, myself.
>
> My current place of employment does not use any significant form of version
> control.

> Due to the nature of most of our codebase, using CVS for it would be
> unrealistic anyhow.

If this is because it's a Micro$oft shop, Visual Source"safe" is a reasonable
version control software. Btw. CVS also has deficiencies like no history of
meta-operations like file moving/renaming, etc.

> Despite all of this, I would like to begin using CVS
> for those projects that I can, even if I'm the only one using it.  The
> problem with this, is that I don't have access to a Unix/Linux server to
> install CVS on (our one Unix server is host to our virtual-OS (non-SQL)
> database, and I don't think I could convince anyone to install anything
> unnecessary there <wink>).  What I'd really like, is a version (or clone) of
> CVS that will allow me to use a local repository under Windows.  Does any
> such thing exist?

Either use Cygwin, which is a pretty complete Unix emulation for Windows. And
yes, it has CVS, too. http://www.cygwin.com/

Or use CVSNT (http://www.cvsnt.org/), which is a native win32 CVS server (and
client).

There are also nice CVS GUIs for Windows: http://www.cvsgui.org/ and my
favourite http://www.cvsgui.org/TortoiseCVS/index.shtml which is an Explorer
plug-in that let's you use CVS from the standard Windows Explorer.

> (I'm very frustrated, trying to teach myself good software
> engineering practices in a workplace that doesn't support that at all... )

I'd just try to educate my co-workers. That's what I currently do :) Maybe you
could also mention how this or that could have been avoided had there been a
version control system/regression tests/any QA at all/proper documentation,
etc.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0