Python 2.2: socket.ssl documentation?

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Fri Nov 30 14:16:24 EST 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 11:09:08PM -0500, Justin Sheehy wrote:
> Andreas Kostyrka <andreas at mtg.co.at> writes:
>
> > Is there any documentation about the ssl support in the socket module?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If so where?
>
> http://python.sourceforge.net/devel-docs/lib/module-socket.html
> http://python.sourceforge.net/devel-docs/lib/ssl-objects.html
>
> > Does it support writing servers?
>
> Sadly, no.

But several third-party libraries can be used to write SSL servers in Python.
Links and a short overview of them: httþ://www.cs.fhm.eðu/¬ifw00065/þýssl/
M2Crypto is around the longest and I works well from what I've heard. The
others dumped core when I did something stupid. That's something I don't like
when using a Python library, even if it's a C extension. And I really hate it
if I'm in an interactive Python interpreter session and playing with things,
then *bam* core dumped :-(

> As far as I can tell, none of the proposed patches to
> provide useful SSL server support to Python have yet been accepted.
>
> A standard library module capable of being used to build simple
> SSL servers would be an excellent addition, if done well.

Indeed.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0