Python, licenses and CVS

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Wed Nov 28 03:15:17 EST 2001

Paul Rubin <phr-n2001d at nightsong.com> writes:
> CVS is a layer over RCS that lets multiple people work on the same
> files at the same time, and automatically merges their changes at
> check-in.  I don't see any point to it for a one person project.  RCS
> is a lot simpler.  I use RCS for one-person projects and couldn't live
> without it.  But I haven't found a reason to deal with the increased
> complexity of CVS.  Is there one?

* storing your repository on a remote machine
* having multiple copies of the same files in different places at the same time
  (e.g. my laptop, my desktop)
* cvs annotate
* triggers (e.g. update-on-commit)
* cvs -n -q update, which tells you which files are modified and which
  aren't under version control
* CVS GUIs --- e.g. WinCVS

Still, I mostly use RCS for things like .bashrc and .xsession.  It's
less trouble; I don't have to set up a repository and set up
update-on-commit.  I just ci -l.