How do use locally compiled debug Python executables?

Parzival Herzog parz at shaw.SpamBucket.ca
Sat Nov 24 21:40:23 EST 2001

An earlier posting identified a crash in Python21.dll while using
an extension module. I was unable to debug into the Python21.dll,
so I downloaded the ActiveState 2.1.1 build 212 source tree, and
used MSVC 6.0 to build Python_d.exe and Python21_d.dll.

I then copied these dlls to my installed python directory,
and ran a command line program:

--------------------------------
F:\EmsView\New>python_d sample.py
Adding parser accelerators ...
Done.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "sample.py", line 1, in ?
    import MyWin
ImportError: No module named MyWin
[2346 refs]

F:\EmsView\New>dir *.pyd
 Volume in drive F has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 2C38-2765

 Directory of F:\EmsView\New

               1 File(s)        110,641 bytes
               0 Dir(s)   6,400,483,328 bytes free

F:\EmsView\New>

Can anyone explain why the MyWin.pyd extension dll is not
found using Python21_d.exe? It continues to be found using
the installed Python.exe.

Is this the right way to go about debugging problems with
extension modules? (Er, obviously not, but what IS the right
way?)

- Parzival