Cross platform catalog

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 14:24:26 EST 2001

Decks1998 wrote:

> I was wondering if python can be used to create a compact disk catalog for
> images with some interaction capabilities.  I'd like for both mac and window
> users to be able to use the cd without the need to install additional
> applications or software. I know little about programing but thinking about
> taking the plung into python if it's a step in the right direction.  Any
> suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
> Thanks,

There are many good reasons to learn a language, and definitely doing a hobby
project you want to do is one of the best. So don't take this as me
discouraging you: if you want to learn to program and do this project in the
process, by all means go ahead. But keep in mind there's already 2500 similar
half-done programs out on the internet. Some of them work reasonably well,
others never got too far off the ground. Use google to find them if curious.

So my point is: as a way to learn a language, what you propose is a great
idea. But if what you want is to have such a program available, you might
first want to look at what others have already done. Either it's already
there or you can contribute and have something useful faster.

Just a suggestion so you make the most efficient use of your time.

Cheers,