Should we trust .NET?

Jonathan Gardner jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Wed Nov 28 10:52:00 EST 2001

> > Look at Visual C++. Portability? Compatability? Ha.
> >
> > Look what they did to Java, HTTP, HTML, and JavaScript.
>
> What did they do to Java, HTTP, HTML, and JavaScript?

HTML/JavaScript: Non-compliant web pages that only work for IE and not for
the other. Trying to add stuff to HTML without going through the standard
process, and then advertising it as if everyone does it.

HTTP: They still haven't built a server that actually works.

Java: C# is the result of their failed efforts to commandeer this language.
Sun had to take them to court to get them to stop.

And we should all know what they did to C++. The declaration of variables
inside a for loop survives outside of the loop. You can't compile anything
that works with windows without enabling this "feature"... they still don't
support templates properly... they didn't implement exceptions hardly at
all, and they don't even use it.

> > Microsoft is in the business of making money, not software.
>
> Is Sun and Netscape any different?

Sun and Netscape make(made) software as well as money.

Jonathan