I just got in!

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Nov 8 17:58:41 EST 2001

Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com> wrote:
> One thing about Python people is we are less (outwardly ;) smug
> then your phrase seems to suggest.  Perhaps that derives from the
> influence of Dutch tolerance in the early days.

That's a nice compliment, though my limited experience on Dutch forums
makes it seem implausible. :)

I am not sure where the generally nice atmosphere comes from.
I think the audience is just fairly mature. It may have settled the
atmosphere early on. Small languages generally attract a more mature
audience, where the average newcomer has a fair number of languages
under their belt already, with more knowledge of language theory but
also language pragmatism. Python is clean and pragmatic enough at
the same time to be useful for such people. It's where
theory and pragmatism meets peacefully. Perhaps that's why the
newsgroup is relatively peaceful as well.

Regards,

Martijn