Which Version for Absolut Beginner?

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Sun Nov 25 17:03:33 EST 2001

Hi Fred,

"Fred Flintsone" <__x__ll at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3c014926.1812080 at news...
> I did download the 2.1.1 but noticed afterwards a suggestion for me to
> d/l "ActiveState," which is a larger d/l, so I'm assuming it has
> important goodies bundled in it.  Before I get going here, should I
> uninstall 2.1.1 and go for the ActiveState d/l?  (This message refers
> to Gillou's post above.)

This depends if you would like to use the Windows extensions (which allow
you to interoperate with ActiveX / COM stuff, use most of the Windows
function, etc.) or the PythonWin IDE that comes with those extensions as
well. Personally I find the PythonWin IDE a very nice environment for
learning Python, it even includes autocomplete of method names (almost like
VB editor) and a debugger.

If you already have a good editor and do not like to dive into Windows
programming right away, you can just continue with what is already running.
The Windows extensions are also available as a seperate download, but I
don't know how easy it is to install (I always used ActivePython install on
Win so far).

Hope the confusion did not increase to much ;-)

Werner