std. python from cygwin: the final word (?)

Jason Tishler jason at tishler.net
Fri Nov 30 12:55:46 EST 2001

John,

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:22:32PM +0000, John J. Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Jason Tishler wrote:
> [...]
> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 12:22:05PM +0000, John J. Lee wrote:
> > > After several, surprising long, threads, the collective brain power of
> > > c.l.python and the cygwin mailing list has produced the following magical
> > > shell incantations:

Shame on me for not reading all of the above before responding, but
my procmail recipes only matched your previous email.  Additionally,
since I read "all" Cygwin mailing list messages, I don't know how I
missed the ones posted to that list.

> Thanks, but:
>
> 1. why does it help to use pythonw?

Nevertheless, I did not fully grok the point of your shell script.  I
thought that you were only interested in invoking a Win32 Python instead
of the Cygwin one.

> 2. why does your solution require rxvt (rather than the std. windows
> terminal used by cygwin)?

Unfortunately, if who uses pythonw in cmd/command/bash, then stdout will
not be displayed.  pythonw under rxvt does not have this problem.

> Just to make sure we're not talking at x-purposes: the shell script I sent
> was intended to be run instead of python, so that it can munge the
> (possibly cygwin-style) path of the script before passing it to the real
> python, while still getting sys.argv right at the same time, so you can
> type

Ah, I understand now -- sorry, for the noise.

Jason