Python, licenses and CVS

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Nov 29 16:56:09 EST 2001

hungjunglu at yahoo.com (Hung Jung Lu) writes:

>    (...)         Given the long track record of CVS, I really don't
> understand why the windows adaptation is still so primitive, why
> documentations are so badly written.

It's probably one of those open-source laws of supply and demand, and
how there's often a mismatch between the two.  I'm a heavy CVS user
and the _last_ think I care about is a nice GUI for it.  I'm
completely command line (even on Windows) and perfectly happy :-)

But I'm sure there are lots of folks who would prefer the GUI; perhaps
there are fewer of them that are developers who want to work on CVS
itself.

Or perhaps since there are products such as SourceSafe that cater to
that audience, there's less of a demand to try to move CVS into that
space.

>    (...)                  . I am sure CVS will get better, but I'll
> give it a few more years. Meanwhile, I use SourceSafe.

I don't know how much to expect over time - CVS has been around quite
a while (at least 10+ years) and I'd guess is unlikely to undergo
major shifts quickly at this point, but perhaps I'm wrong.

--
-- David