Designing socket messaging format

Stephen shriek at gmx.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 20:27:46 EST 2001

cimarron+google at taylors.org (Cimarron Taylor) wrote in message news:<29e28c51.0111120234.35d10048 at posting.google.com>...
> shriek at gmx.co.uk (Stephen) wrote in message news:<97ae44ee.0111111912.14006c7f at posting.google.com>...
> > I'm developing a program which sends messages back and forth
> > between two servers using sockets.  The message format I've
> > been given is "YYYYTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT"
>
> Why not save yourself a little coding and just use netstrings?
>
>      more info: http://itamarst.org/multiplex
>  advogato copy: http://www.advogato.org/article/212.html
>    python code: http://itamarst.org/downloads/multiplex-0.2.tgz

Thanks for pointing this out. Is anybody actually
using it though ? Would be a bit concerned with it
being 0.2 release.

I guess the main reason not to use netstrings is
the ability to interface with other servers that
don't have the netstrings package or the desire to
install it.  Sockets seem to be the lowest
common denominator.

I'll keep an eye on it though. Thanks.

Stephen