Does rotor follow a cross-language encryption algorithm ?

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Sat Nov 24 17:21:40 EST 2001

Hi,

"Martin von Loewis" <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote in message
news:j43d34pgp2.fsf at informatik.hu-berlin.de...

> > Just to clear up my own understanding, is it fair to say that
> > a "built-in" module can be defined as one that is included in
> > the core Python distributed, and is written in C as oppopsed
> > to Python, but which still needs to be imported before use ?
>
> Almost correct. There is a slight overloading of names
> here. Traditionally "builtin" modules are the ones listed in
> sys.builtin_module_names, which in turn are the ones statically linked
> with the compiler. These days, most installations build the modules
> shipped with Python as shared libraries, so they are strictly speaking
> "extension modules". However, to distinguish them from third-party
> extension modules, they are often called "builtin" even if not linked
> with the interpreter.

But this does not mean, that one cannot just take one's own C extension and
link it statically with the interpreter.
This can be very convenient if you embed Python into an other Application or
work on a platform that has limited/bad support for dynamic loading.

Personally, I think the term 'built-in' tells more about whether it is 'in'
the interpreter (python) binary or a seperate file (no matter if Python or
C).
I'd call the modules coming with Python 'The Python Standard Library' - but
this if of course personal taste.

Best regards
Werner