Is this considered black magic?

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sun Nov 11 08:37:07 EST 2001

I want to do something which is conceptually very simple.  Given a list of
objects, call make everybody call the same method you want to run.  Sort
of like apply(), but for methods.

This is what I came up with:

class Ham:
    def say(self):
        print "I am Ham, and I don't want any arguments, thank you."

    def speak_up(self, arg):
        print 'I am Ham, and my arguments are %s' % arg

class Eggs:
    def speak_up(self, arg='bacon'):
        print 'I am Eggs, and my arguments are %s' % arg

class Spam:
    def shout(self, arg1, arg2='sausage'):
        print 'I AM SPAM AND MY ARGUMENTS ARE %s AND %s' % (arg1, arg2)

def foreach(name_key, object_list, *args):
    print 'foreach: args are ' + `args`
    for object in object_list:
        try:
            object.__class__.__dict__[name_key](object, *args)
        except KeyError:
            pass

##########################
if __name__ == '__main__':

    h=Ham()
    e=Eggs()
    s=Spam()

    foreach ('say', [h, e, s])

    foreach('speak_up', [e])
    foreach('speak_up', [h, e, s], 'sandwich')
    foreach('speak_up', [h, e, s], None) #can i pass None?

    foreach('shout', [h, e, s], 'sandwich')
    foreach('shout', [h, e, s], 'sandwich', 'beer')
--------------

This works:

foreach: args are ()
I am Ham, and I don't want any arguments, thank you.
foreach: args are ()
I am Eggs, and my arguments are bacon
foreach: args are ('sandwich',)
I am Ham, and my arguments are sandwich
I am Eggs, and my arguments are sandwich
foreach: args are (None,)
I am Ham, and my arguments are None
I am Eggs, and my arguments are None
foreach: args are ('sandwich',)
I AM SPAM AND MY ARGUMENTS ARE sandwich AND sausage
foreach: args are ('sandwich', 'beer')
I AM SPAM AND MY ARGUMENTS ARE sandwich AND beer

But is it white, grey, or black magic?  Is there a better way I should have
done?  Suggestions on what to name the function gratefully welcomed.

Laura Creighton