A Python GUI Book.

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Nov 27 07:20:43 EST 2001

Kevin Altis <altis at semi-retired.com> wrote:
> Some other suggestions which you may already be covering:
> 2. Whether the toolkit uses native widgets (wxPython does, tkinter does
> not).

AFAIK Tkinter uses native widgets for menus, common dialogs, etc. since v8?

> 3. Widget and classes list and notable widgets. For example, the tkinter
> canvas widget.

Yes. I will spend nearly a whole chapter on the topic of how to make
nice custom controls with the canvas widget.

> 5. Strategies for handling long running tasks with the toolkit. Does the
> toolkit support separate threads outside of the GUI event loop, yield, or
> other mechanisms?

Good suggestion. I will have to handle this.

> 7. Costs associated with using the toolkit on different platforms.

Which costs do you mean? License fee, for instance when developing
commercial qt-apps on windows?

> 10. Is the toolkit still being actively updated?

A very strong point.

Thanks for your list!

Cheers,

:M: