Editor for Python: A PLEA

Jonathan Gardner jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Tue Nov 27 23:10:02 EST 2001

> > >There need not be 50 conflicting opinions. One only needs two editors:
> > >
> > >  - Vim
> > >  - Emacs
> >
> > Why two editors? Will not one or the other do?
>
> Yes, but which one that is has been an age-old dispute. :-)

I am curious as to what editors are being used to edit python. I get the
feeling that most people who post here, especially the gurus, use *ahem*
Vim *ahem*.

I will do an informal poll.

Send an email with a subject of "python editor poll" and I'll do a quick
tally and post the results tomorrow.

Please don't post your preference to this list, it tends to get exciting.

Jonathan

* In case you're wondering what editor I use, let me just say that it works
really well with the email client that sucks less than all the others.

* If you are still wondering, one of my projects at sourceforge is  called
python-vim. (http://sf.net/projects/python-vim). I haven't uploaded
anything because I am waiting for some advice from Bram on licensing.