Linux/Alpha memory leaks

Neal Norwitz neal at metaslash.com
Tue Nov 13 08:05:04 EST 2001

Peter Åstrand wrote:

> > > I have some problems with memory leaks in a web application, written in
> > > Python. It works good on Sparc/Solaris and Linux/i386 (uses < 10 MB on
> > > these platforms), but in Linux/Alpha the application consumes > 50 MB in
> > > less than 24 hours. Since the Python application works good on two other
>
> > Check out this patch which has been applied (9-Nov):
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=478006&group_id=5470&atid=105470
> >
> > That may address your problem.  Specifically, it closes a leak in 2.2b1+.
> > I don't know if it affects 2.1.1.
>
> Now I have also tried the CVS version, with this patch applied. It still
> leaks.
>
> Maybe I should try with GNU pth threading libraries, instead of
> LinuxThreads?

I don't know if that would help or not.  There are very few leaks
in Python when running the regression tests.

You can try using a memory leak detector in python to determine
the problem.  If you can narrow it down to a small test case,
it may be possible to determine if the fault is python, glibc,
or something else.

Neal