Sizing Up Graphics Automatically

Kevin Cazabon kevin at cazabon.com
Fri Nov 16 16:59:43 EST 2001

Actually, it's very easy using Python and PIL (Python Imaging Library,
see www.pythonware.com), I do a very similar thing on my website,
sizing graphics to the resolution of the user's browser before sending
them (to save bandwidth).

I use JavaScript on the client side to send me the screen resolution
(to a Python cgi script), and process the image from there.

See:  www.cazabon.com/wedding

for the example.  If you are interested, I'll gladly provide the
source code I use.  (it's actually a very nicely automated photo album
script, combo Perl/Python.  All I do is create a folder, drop images
in (any size), and the script does the rest... they're online
immediately, in a category named by the folder I created.)

Kevin Cazabon.