Tkinter and IDE's

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 19 19:54:51 EST 2001

"Don Arnold" <darnold02 at sprynet.com> wrote in message
news:9t9qsb$4nd$1 at slb3.atl.mindspring.net...
> I'm new to python and am interested in developing apps with Tkinter.
> However, every IDE I've come across for the Win32 platform experiences
> lockups/aborts when running Tkinter code. So far I've tried IDLE,
PythonWin,
> and WING with little luck. Does anyone know of an IDE that
successfully
> executes Tkinter code?
>
> Thanks,
> Don Arnold

There's a known problem with Tcl/tk that causes these lockups;
at least, I assume it's with tcl/tk since it's been discussed
sporadically
for quite a while, and the last time, someone said they had seen it in
a pure tcl/tk environment.

It's reported to only occur on Win 9x (including ME) systems,
and not on Win 4.0, 2K, etc systems, and only when using the
command line.

I suspect that the long term solution is going to be IBM's anygui
project.

John Roth