Problem with .pth files under linux

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 18:24:52 EST 2001

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> Hmm.  This is the reason why Debian as a Linux distro rocks.  Debian
> modifies site.py so that it also searches in
> /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages !! It does this by modifying
> site.py slightly like so:
>
> Original site.py:
>
> prefixes = [sys.prefix]
> if sys.exec_prefix != sys.prefix:
>     prefixes.append(sys.exec_prefix)
>
> Debian's version:
>
> prefixes = [os.path.join(sys.prefix, "local"), sys.prefix]
> if sys.exec_prefix != sys.prefix:
>     prefixes.append(os.path.join(sys.exec_prefix, "local"))
>     prefixes.append(sys.exec_prefix)
>

> Obviously very thoughtful, correct and convenient. :)

And furthermore, something that should be part of Python itself!!! Great for
Debian users, but this is basically a micro-bug in Python, and it should be
fixed at the source.

> Another work around in your case would be to stick your Numeric.pth
> alone (with an absolute path) inside /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages.
>
> Nnumeric.pth:
> /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/Numeric

Nah. I'd have to do that for a bunch of stuff. My current solution is kludgy
but automatic, since I don't need that site-python directory.

Anyway, this is more annoying and more work than it should.

Cheers, and  thanks for all your help.

f.